About the job
Head of People
This is a permanent, full-time role, working 35 hours a week.
Hybrid (home based and/or access to London and/or Edinburgh offices)
This position is UK based and we are unable to offer Visa sponsorship.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 9th October 2022.
Interviews are expected to be held the week commencing 17th October 2022.
The International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED) is a policy and action research organisation promoting sustainable development and linking local priorities to global challenges. We are based in London and work on five continents with some of the world’s most vulnerable people to strengthen their voice in the decision-making arenas that affect them. With more than 150 members of staff working with associates and partners around the world, IIED has been at the forefront of evidence-based policymaking in sustainable development for over 50 years.
- A salary of £60,390 - £75,148
- 25 days' annual leave per year, increasing by one day for every completed 2 years' service up to 30 days for full-time staff with 10 years' service. We are also closed between Christmas and New Year and this is additional paid holiday
- 7.5% employer's pension contributions to the IIED pension scheme
- A range of flexible working options for all employees after a qualifying period
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption policies
- An employee protection scheme offering a flexible menu of benefits such as life insurance, spouse and partner life cover, critical illness and/or income protection cover
This is a fantastic opportunity for a CIPD qualified HR professional with global workforce experience and a great leadership style to join our leading organisation.
By joining us you will discover a highly rewarding and engaging environment, where you will be surrounded by sector-leading experts from across the world. Here, your leadership will contribute to our efforts to build a more sustainable, equitable and resilient world.
Our team members work at multiple levels across the world, in villages, with governments and international organisations including the UN, so this is a rare opportunity to support the culture and development of a truly diverse and integrated organisation.
As our Head of People, you will provide strategic direction and management to our People Team, leading on all People matters and providing dedicated HR support that reflects operational best practices across our organisation.
Providing senior strategic insight, you will help to shape our organisational development and strategic plan, including at the implementation and evaluation stages. You will undertake this work with an awareness of our global workforce and organisational culture.
Providing expert internal customer support, you will lead the review and development of policies and procedures. You will maximise service effectiveness and consistency by delivering expert support and guidance on People matters, including supporting line managers.
Additionally, you will:
- Oversee the relationship with the Union from a management perspective
- Take responsibility for the management of all People associated budgets
- Supervise GDPR compliance and data management
- Manage the effective running of our payroll
To be considered as the Head of People, you will need:
- Demonstrable success in senior HR roles in the public, private and commercial sectors
- Experience of managing a global workforce in line with equal opportunities and diversity policies
- Experience of HR policy and procedure development and implementation
- Experience of designing, implementing and reviewing HR-related projects
- Experience of providing high-quality HR services to line managers and employees
- Line management experience
- Experience of working constructively with unions
- Comprehensive knowledge of UK employment policy, legislation, practices and procedures
- Wide knowledge of current best practice and/or best in class in all HR matters
- Practical experience of managing the project cycle
- Budget management and control skills
- Working knowledge of HR systems and a strong level of IT literacy
- Excellent listening, facilitation and negotiation skills
- CIPD membership (or equivalent experience)
Ideally, you will have experience of organisation design change and a track record of managing budgets over £500,000.
Experience of working with outsourced payroll providers and familiarity with Ciphr (payroll, core People, self-service) would be highly beneficial to your application.
Professional qualifications, including a PRINCE2 qualification, CIPD Chartered Fellow status and/or a relevant degree would be equally advantageous.
Other organisations might call this role Global Head of People and Culture, Head of People Services, Head of Human Resources, Head of HR, HR Business Partner, HRBP, or Human Resources Director.
Webrecruit and International Institute for Environment and Development are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you can contribute to our exceptional culture as the Head of People, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Head of People